The Holiday season is upon us, and it is an exciting time for traveling, new purchases, and quality time with loved ones. Unfortunately, this time of year we see an uptick in theft and loss of devices. The ADVYON team wants to help you stay safe and secure during the hustle and bustle. We have put together a list of recommendations that will help keep your mind at ease and your devices and data secure before, during, and after travel.
- Take pictures of the devices you will travel with (phones, laptops, cameras, tablets, iPads, headphones, handheld gaming devices etc.).
- Write down all serial numbers for your devices and store them both at home and keep them with you while traveling.
- Backup all your devices to the cloud (If a device is lost or stolen, you will not lose all of your data).
- Set up ‘Find My” on your devices to track their location.
- Keep all logins secure by setting up multi-factor authentication.
- Pre-download tv shows, movies, games, and music to your devices ahead of time so you do not need to access insecure public wi-fi.
- Pre-charge all devices.
- Pack any chargers/cords, portable chargers, adapters, and batteries you will need.
- Create an internet plan:
- Use your cell phone hotspot, purchase a secure internet plan from your phone provider for travel, or utilize a VPN.
- Use a traveling VPN application: These will protect your devices so your data is not tracked.
- Don’t use public WIFI networks or hotspots without a VPN. Connecting to these insecure networks makes your data vulnerable.
- Public WIFI Tip: The WIFI at airports/hotels costs money to log in, you can use it by adding “?.jpg” at the end of the URL address but be sure to use a VPN app for protection.
- Always lock your valuable technology in a safe.
- Take an inventory of your devices
- Backup your devices
For more information and insights about traveling with technology, listen to the podcast hosted by our ADVYON tech dads: Brian and Jon.
AskTechDad Episode #7- Holiday Travel Tips
Podcast episodes for AskTechDad are available on all major streaming platforms: Spotify, Audible, Apple etc.